Friday, April 3, 2009

Melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon rolls



Here's the recipe we grew up with. Delicious.

Mix on speed I until moist:
  • 2 T. yeast
  • 3 1/2 c. hot water
  • 1 c. powdered milk (if you don't have this you can use 3 c. milk and 1/2 c. water; but then remember to delete the water from above)
  • 1 c. mashed potato flakes
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. margarine, melted
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3 c. flour
Add 5-7 c. flour.

Continue adding flour until dough cleans the sides and bottom of the bowl. Lock the lid onto bowl and knead on speed II for 3 min. Let dough rest on oiled counter and let rise for 15 min. Punch down and roll out to 18" x 15". Brush with melted butter. Spread with brown sugar/cinnamon mixture, add nuts/raisins as desired. Roll up and cut into 12-18 rolls. Place on large jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. Let rise 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Let cool for 3-5 minutes before frosting.

Frosting:
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 T. butter
  • 1-2 T cream or milk

enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. DAH! I was gonna do these at MY first post!

    Ah well. If anyway wants the Vegan changes, lemme know....You can't taste a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I feel about it being labeled a dessert and a breakfast. When do I eat them? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and can I use the little potato balls, or do they have to be flakey? Can they be bought at the creamery on 9th, or is there a sub?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really very exciting to make this recipe vegan: egg replacer, soy milk, etc. But then for the powdered milk, just make sure to use powder SOY milk from your local health-food store.

    April--you definitely need flakes. Ask me for some. I have mom's whole container of them.

    ReplyDelete