Saturday, January 8, 2011

Yummy Jam Bars

Remember on President's Day last January when we went sledding and had those yummy jam bars, in much-too-small of quantities? And remember how then Heidi and the college kids went right home and made more? Well, I'm finally posting the recipe. I don't remember the original title for this and I don't know exactly whom to credit for the recipe. I tried it as part of the Festival of Trees 40th anniversary cookbook. (I was helping the Board sample recipes before the published it--what a great form of community service! :) )

3 Layers (plus glaze), makes 1 9x13 pan.  

Layer 1: Crust
1 c. flour
¼ c. powder sugar
½ c. butter
mash in pan. Bake 375 for 15-18 minutes (lightly browned). I only needed 12 minutes

Partially cool

Layer 2: jam
¼ c. seedless raspberry jam 
spread on top
(Other kinds of jam would surely work, but this is where I discovered how amazing raspberry jam truly is. I'll never underestimate it again.)

Layer 3: Cream Cheese
4 oz. Cream cheese
1 Tbsp milk
1 c. (6 oz) white/vanilla Chocolate Chips

microwave 1-1 ½ minutes, until smooth
spread over top.
Let it cool completely for 1 hour (I skip this step)

glaze
¾ c. chocolate chips
2 Tbsp shortening

melt together, stir and spread
chill for 10 minutes, cut bars, then chill for another hour!! (don't mess with this step. It's important so it all holds together.)

Heidi doubled it and still put it in a 9x13. She said it was delicious but if you do this, don't totally double the jam layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment