Thursday, January 12, 2012

Green Smoothie

I was nervous my kids wouldn't dig the green-colored drink, but it turned out that Jeremy and I were more reluctant. The girls call it their "green-eggs-and-ham drinkable" or Abby calls it "Sam-I-Am" because of the color and my insistance that we all try it. Turned out fabulously, and now we do it almost daily. What a great way to get some spinach or kale in on a regular basis!

Photobucket

For a family of 4:
Handful of (washed) Kale,
2 Bananas
Oatmeal (1-2 handfuls)
10 ice cubes
agave/sweetener
water or milk

optional things:
flax seeds
protein powder
flax oil
spirulina


Photobucket
Drink Up! Make sure to take pictures of your mustache!

***

A day after posting the above, I realized I forgot the most important part of this post. I always like knowing general principles, so that I'm not stuck to recipes. SOO the secret for any vegetable drink of any kind is what kind of fruit you pair it with for flavor. The rule of thumb is to stick to the correct color scheme. You wouldn't want tomatoes (red) and kale (green) because they are complimentary colors and will make BROWN. Welcome back to kindergarten, right? Seriously though! So that's why yellow/whitish fruits like bananas can combine well with any green vegetable. Carrots go well with Strawberries. And so on. If you want to try a new vegetable, just add a fruit you like that has the correct color rules. :)

6 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you posted this! and we're gonna be brave and try it. then i'll comment again

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE green smoothies! I found a blog with a bunch of recipes, and they are all delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://wordofwisdomwoman.blogspot.com/2010/06/green-smoothies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok now that I look back I realized I haven't tried all of them. But I like the ones I tried and it has led me to make up my own good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! This week I made a green smoothie that was too leafy and I didn't have more fruit to put in. So I froze the smoothie in ice cube trays and now I can use my green leafies later. They add the frozen element to make a good smoothie.

    Also, for family members who can't look past the green smoothie, Carnation Instant Breakfast or another chocolate source will make it legitimately brown and you can say it's a chocolate shake.

    ReplyDelete