Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mighty Muffins

We've made these several times now and my family loves them.  They're really healthy and really filling; I just ate two of these bad boys and feel stuffed to the rafters.   It's another Engine 2 recipe.

ingredients:

  • 3 c. oat bran (I sometimes use half ground ww)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 4 T. sweetener (I use agave)
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 large apple, grated
  • 6 brown bananas, lightly mashed (leave some chunks)
  • 1/4 c. walnuts, chopped or halved
  • 1/4 c. raisins
  • 3/4 c. water
Preheat oven to 375. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemon onto the combined apple and bananas. Add walnuts, raisins and water. Combine the wet and dry ingredients into one bowl. Pour into sprayed muffin tins and bake for 45 minutes* or until golden brown on top. 

Variations: Bake the batter in a loaf pan.
Add three thinly-sliced pears or 1 c. of 70% pure cocoa chips to the batter.

*The recipe says it makes 6 muffins. I don't know where you get muffin tins that big, but this recipe makes 18 muffins for us. The batter doesn't really rise when you cook it so you can fill the muffin cups pretty full.  I bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes and they're good. They'll still seem a bit doughy b/c of the bananas, but that just makes them moist. So don't over bake them! When the toothpick comes out clean they're good to go. 

1 comment:

  1. These look awesome! I can't wait to try them. We have visitors in town for a few weeks, but as soon as they go....BAM! We'll try these!

    ReplyDelete