Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Barley Blueberry Pancakes

These passed the Danny test so you know they're good! I adapted a recipe from the Sneaky Chef and really loved the results. I shared the leftovers with Mom and Danny, and they liked it a lot too. I am typing the original recipe with my notes; I hope it isn't confusing.


  • 3/4 C Flour Blend (the Make Ahead recipe is 1:1:1 parts white flour, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ. However, I used barley flour I had ground the day before. Note the title of my recipe!)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup blanched, slivered almonds finely ground in a food processor. Omit of allergic. (I used almond flour I happened to have on hand from Kitchen Kneads)
  • 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce or grated fresh apple (I just used applesauce from my food storage, which was most likely sweetened)
  • 1/4 C plain yogurt (I used vanilla yogurt that I had on hand)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (the real thing is SO good--got some from my Mother-in-Law's cruise to Mexico)
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp honey or pure maple syrup (I left this out since my applesauce and yogurt were sweetened)
  • 1/4 C fresh or frozen blueberries (I just added as much as I wanted to use; frozen worked great! Just add them to the wet ingredients--still frozen--at the last minute and they won't bleed on everything.
  • 1/4 C chocolate chips (that is to disguise the texture from your kids, but I left them out. I think the use of almond flour rather than my own ground almonds might have made the difference, but the texture was just fine!)


Mix together dry ingredients and set aside. (You can triple this, store it in a Ziplock in your freezer, and have a pancake mix ready for another day.) In another bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. (Remember, add blueberries last to this bowl, but before you mix it with the dry ingredients.) Add wet ingredients to dry ones until just blended. This is where you would add the chocolate chips. Add more milk if the batter is too thick. Cook like regular pancakes. Hopefully you are not like me and don't burn pancakes every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment