Monday, August 27, 2012

Green Smoothie

I know there are lots of versions of this, but the one I just made is really awesome. Here's how my friend taught me to do it:

  • kale
  • frozen mango (I get it at Trader Joe's; I'm sure you could also use fresh mango and ice)
  • orange juice concentrate
  • milk (I used soy, my friend uses rice)
  • half an avocado (this is the secret! this is what makes it so creamy!)
You can also add ice if you want.  We threw in half a banana. Play around with it, but I'm delighted to discover the avocado trick. 

Now all I need is a Blendtec.  Seriously. It's no longer a mere issue of want.

What do you put in your smoothies?

3 comments:

  1. I love putting avocados in my smoothies! My family hasn't noticed yet and it's a great way to use up the extra halves after a Mexican dinner. I have also hidden cucumber, squash, and (thanks to pre-frozen Sneaky Chef purees I have in ice cube size pieces) even cauliflower. Don't tell Adam. He doesn't know he is adding cauliflower to his smoothies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. I also use any kind of greens I can get. Kale, collard greens, spinach, chard, or romaine lettuce. I have some of those in my garden you can come get! :) I typed this on the last smoothie post, but I like to puree my greens ahead of time and freeze them in ice cube trays. It makes it extra quick to make a smoothie on rushed days, and works well if things are going to go bad or you have uneven proportions of ingredients.

      Delete
  2. put some chia seeds in it! (after you hydrate them with water, that is!) :)

    ReplyDelete